POSITION: Branch Assistant
SALARY: $14.35/hour; guaranteed a 3 hour shift every month
DESCRIPTION: Branch Assistants support the branch librarian in the operation of the local library branch. They implement current information technology in all aspects of their work including circulation functions, record keeping, reporting and communications. They circulate library materials and maintain appropriate records. They assist patrons in finding resources/information. They receive direction and training from the branch librarian and work with considerable independence. Throughout their work, and particularly in serving the public, they are required to exercise judgement based on a knowledge of the organization of the regional library and its policies and procedures. They report to their branch librarian or designate.
- Carry out all aspects of prescribed circulation, and registration procedures by means of current information technology supports
- Maintain regular, relevant, and timely communication with Branch Librarian
- Maintain competency in the use and operation of multiple information technology devices and applications
- Assist in the maintenance of the library public relations program
- Assist in running library programs during scheduled work hours as required
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources and equipment
- Shelve library materials and maintain orderly shelves and storage areas
- Carry out procedures for the regular exchange and transfer of library resources
- Keep all necessary statistics and receipts
- Supervise the use of public library computers
- Supervise the use of the library space, equipment and furnishings
- Maintain orderly and safe branch library service
- Participate in Shared-Shifts during the months of May and October
- Fill in for Branch Librarian as required
- May carry out the role and responsibilities of the Branch Librarian in the even tof an extended absence
- Other duties as assigned by the Branch Librarian or designate.
QUALIFICATIONS: Grade XII or equivalent; experience in serving the public; competent in the use and operation of multiple information technology devices; accuracy in keeping records; good organizational skills; ability to deliver creative and effective programming; ability to work independently; demonstrated oral and written communication skills; active reader; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others; the ability to display judgement and tact when dealing with the general public; physical fitness allowing the lifting and moving of boxes/bins of library materials (up to 50 pounds); must be able to provide a criminal record check.
Interested? Contact Jeannine Nelson, Chair at 306-885-2234 or 306-541-6413